Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Laollapolooza: Part 3


So, I got up early the day of the show, got into my Year Zero dress and did my waiting out early thing.

Though I knew 90% of getting to the front of the barricade was going to come down to the run – I’m not one to screw around. I’m over the top with everything and I would have been upset had I been remiss and dropped the ball. It was a long run from the front gate to the stage. People ran as the gates opened for Rage and I knew I would have to do the same.

I really love going running – so the idea of relaying on that to get in was kinda really exciting for me. We were all lined up at 10 am ready to go. I wasn’t so much worried that I was in a dress and massive platform boots, but I was gonna have to run against young kids and other fans – and I had my backpack on me full of water.


Then my noble saviors arrived to run in with me. Lucas and Jen showed up. Jen had been so cool in keeping me updated with Rock Star’s status – and Lucas –total gentleman that he is said he would carry in my bag along with Jens. So the two of us were going to run in so we could get to the barricade. Jen and I were getting really nervous. It was intense. Of course at this point I knew we’d be up front, they can’t be that much faster, but my competitive side had come out. I’d kick myself hardcore if I couldn’t make it. I’m always beating myself up over stuff… But they opened the gates – and we started to run!!!!

It was CRAZY – they started playing the theme song to Star Wars over the Pas as the gates opened!!! All the fans ran in and all the festival crew stopped what they were doing and were cheering for us – it was ridiculous and funny and really cool at the same time.

Running in my boots was hared then I thought – I couldn’t run as fast as I normally do and it felt like that dream where you can’t run. The cool young boy who’d waited out with me was running ahead – so it was me and him – and all I hear is Jen screaming, “RUN! CAROL RUN!” Wish I could and then I knew there were all these young girl fans – I thought I was going to die. All my being over tired and the fucking sun and I thought I would pass out – What The Fuck. So we hit the main field and the boy he stops running and is walking. Now it’s just me and I know threes some girl on my tail.

It was crazy. People are all cheering and then the music switches over to Chariots of fire! It’s all so silly and funny. But I love it! I’m reaching the stage and I’m near death. In a way it was all so cool. You run all the time and you’re playing Nails – and then you get and you think you can’t make it but you tell yourself you can and you do – but this time it actually mattered. It was so cool. But I was hurting and I could feel this chick on my tail. So I’m reaching the stage and I know at this point I can walk fast and still make it pretty much and I know I should cuz I’m hurting worse then I ever have in all my years of running and its mostly because I’ve not slept or eating right or had much water in the past few two weeks. But threes the stage – and I can see Todd (one of Rock Stars cool crew guys) and I’m like 15 feet off. This bird – flies over my head and like I see that I get a second wind and I fucking run the rest of the way to the stage – grab the barrier and near collapse.


OK. I didn’t collapse – I’ll admit it, I dropped to my knees an genuflected at the alter of the stage because I’m a dork. Not because I’m a catholic and I’m praising Jesus. I did it as a music fan, and that Rock Stage is my higher power. I am that big of a dork. But that run was fucking so much fun and awesome. I run all the time and I love it. To get to do it kinda sorta when it matters, since I will likely never race – that was so cool. Then Lucas and Jen made it up. Again, I could never have done it with out Lucas carrying my stuff – and I would not have had nearly as much fun had I done it alone. Lucas and Jen I have to say, especially having Jen run with me was like one of my favorite parts of the day.

I got to see Alex – who’s this awesome guy and a fan who saw many shows with us on a previous tour. I hadn’t seen him in a while – we gave each other a huge hug and talked for a bit. I t was awesome to see Alex again. Then I met another cool fan named Erin. She made a banner for Rock Star. It said NOLA loves and misses NIN. It was a really sweet sign. I fell in love with her instantly and told her I would help hold it up during the show. (TR had seen it already and given her a shout out for it. Awwww! He’s so nice) so there you had it. Me – Erin – and Jen were all lined up along the corner at the center of the barricade on Robin’s side – who could ask for anything better? Lucas was with us too. There was room for him on the barricade – but again, total hero that he is – he had Jen’s back the whole time.


Here we are – man of the hour Lucas and Alex are talking on the left. Also – Abby was in bed and missed all this. If you look into the corner and see the white flag – under that is Erin and Jen. Also there is a guy in a yellow shirt – he would later help me out big time in the pit.


So it was a long day waiting outside in the sun. I drew whilst hiding under a veil to keep from burning in the sun. It was hot under it, but it was actually hotter when the sun hit you. NOW I get why that works. I was really happy, because I got to work on a drawing called “Carnival.” It’s a drawing of Rock Star during his legendary Lollapalooza show back in the early 90’s.


Sure, I’m way behind and had meant to be drawing through the 2000s era of the band – but to get to draw that AT Lollapalooza was so awesome. I didn’t get a lot done – but drawing keeps me sane – or as san as I can be – and I was really happy.


I also worked on another drawing, which is a companion piece to “Carnival.” Carnival is intricate – I use a 0.03 mm pencil and go blind on the crowd. I need to take breaks from it so this is I drawing “Celestial Blind”.


Lucas and Jen again. It was too hot so we were all sitting and trying to stay hydrated. It was kinda hard, but kinda easy; I mean no line stress we were already on barricade by 11 am.


John Butler Trio was amazing. I’m going to say something now – he may well be the best guitar player alive. I’m serious. I mean, I’ve not seen anything like that since Lindsey Buckingham did Big Love alone and acoustic. I mean, play that for anyone and say OK, how many guitars are going. They’ll say – oh 2, maybe three. Then you say no. That’s ONE dude on ONE guitar. Because Lindsey Buckingham has like Twelve Fingers! Well – and Gods forgive me. John blew that the fuck away – like guy has 12 hands. I turn to Erin and said 20 years from now we will look back and finally understand how insane that was.


Then Iron and Wine came on…Yep. Here’s the girls.


Fun with balls.


Oh come on – That many Nails fans!?? It was only a matter of time before one of us did it.


So we’re chillin tossin balls and I fucking look up at the stage and I see it and I start screaming-


FUCKING PERRY FUCKING PERRY! Then everyone else sees it and they scream too and do you know what he said!?!! He just stood there and said “Lollapalooza!” God it was the best thing ever.


Look – he’s saying it. Then he introduced Love and Rockets.


If there was a shot…. Well there you are.


So there we all were and I’m cheering for Daniel and the boys and I love them. I have this weird issue with Love and Rockets from what Is like 5 years ago now…. but I love the boys and I’m starting to get over it and get into it – but something terrible was happening at the left side of the stage.

It was terrible. There the three of us were and our corner doesn’t actually face straight on the stage. It faces the left side. So we’re all starting at it and we all want to stop and just watch the boys but we can’t.


Look how distracted we all are. Gods forgive me. Gods forgive us all – but there was Rock Star. We holler he leans out and smiles – he waves but I turn little girl freak out and burry my head in Erin. I keep looking over, he keeps looking out. He looks me in the eye – he keep catching me staring I swear – it’s awful.

I worry, “You think he’s mad at me?” I ask the girls? I look again. Stop looking stop looking stop looking its like a train wreck. You know what they say about staging into the sun too long.


I look up at the boys. They play THAT song. I forget about the left. I feel not sad – but a catharsis and to go through that in that beautiful place with the sun setting just feet from Daniel Ash was really cool. So I’m starting to really really really get into it – and something horrifying happens----


WHAT THE FUCK AHHHHHHH


No no- seriously – this was ACTUALLY happening. I start bugging out I’m grabbing Erin we’re all bugging out. And were all just – can’t get over it and we just keep saying thank god we’re not on drugs right now cuz its horrifying as it is and I can’t even imagine.


No – no no no no no no no no really no oh my god no. Like what the fuck they’re meditating on the damn drum set.


AHHHHHHHHHHH!


The eons old dark cloud over Love and Rockets has left – and the curtain rises on a new age. I yell for Love and Rockets…. and even the scary bugs too. They left the sage and the set up for You Know What started.

Then….things started to get REALLY CRAZY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home