Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Hampshire Part 3: The Show! (WTF!?!)


So, being that it was November 8th, the day after The Diva – Robin Fincks birthday – we all thought it would be nice if we held up a sign. I made it a few days earlier – and yeah, it really did have gold balloons on it. Lukas had the idea to make it say that. Jen and I in a hysterical giggle fit also came up with the idea to all of us wear dreads in tribute.


I then remembered I had a few clip on dread things I used once to channel Tilda Swinton as The White Witch from Narnia(God I love her!). You know so I just had these things lying around, because I’m that silly. So a cut a few dreads off and made clips for the seven of us.

And it’s a good thing there were so many of us on that barricade, that sign was freegin huge. As usual, I made it, it was totally over the top, then get to the barricade and – dear god what have I done kinda thing. So we bust this thing out – balloons and all and we’re waiting for the band to come out. Partially excited for Robin Finck to see it – but also totally terrified as to Robin’s reaction if The Diva were to look down, see the sign and see all of us dressed like that!

Waiting….999,999 – Oh My god!! Justin, Alesandro and Josh – and then -


Robin!? Does Robin look – I’m too afraid too look up, I’m also quickly distracted…


TR!


So – I don’t know if Robin ever saw it. I should also add at this point that another lovely young lady also had a smaller, far more sensible sign also in tribute to the anniversary of Robins Birth – and which mentioned an inside joke from another show. That will all come up again later…


But – we all rocked out – head banging with clip on dreads to 1,000,000 and I’m fairly certain I saw both TR and Justin look over in our direction. I could have sworn I even almost saw a smile!


We dropped the silly thing after a few songs – we had a concert to watch after all. We had some rocking out to do. I kept my dreads on though. I kinda love them and I kinda want them for real, but I digress. Lets just focus on more important matters.


Amazing.


Closer.










Trent: (To Brett’s camera) Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Fucking. Slowly slowly.

Riot: WHAT THE FUCK!?! Jen!? - What the fuck did he just say!?!

Trent: (Trent slips back behind the screen) Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Fucking. Slowly slowly.

Jen: AHHHHHH Carol!!!! He did it again!!!

Trent: Breathe, us in. Slowly slowly. Fucking. Slowly slowly.

Riot: (To the screen) Trent!!! Stop it!

Is he nuts!? Thank god Abby wasn’t here or we’d all be fucking dead! Anyways, so we all had a good laugh over that whole incident but there was a little controversy – beyond TR’s overtly suggestive revision to The Greater Good Lyrics….

See – what with all the elaborate signs and costumes for Robin, I didn’t want TR to get the wrong idea. I didn’t want to get his feelings hurt you know…


…So I made another sign. We’d planned to bring it out at some point after the Robin sign, we just never decided as to when. I was already feeling kind of embarrassed about the Robin one, and wasn’t even sure it had gone over well if it had even gone over at all.

In addition to that – pits being what they are – our group had shifted, making it nearly impossible being only me and Jen, fully on the rail to hold up the thing. So I had pretty much decided not to use it at all but then – you know me. I figured, what the heck – I went through making it so I might as well hold it. Then I remembered – Flo! She was exactly five people down rail from me and she had loved the sign earlier. Plus – if anyone understood the significance the thing it would be her! So during Pinion – I quick threw her and end and we all laughed and held up the sign – which worked out pretty well in the end seeing as – she was closer to TR. Robins sign was in front of Robin, and the rest of my friends were in front of TR holding up the TR sign! Awwww.


So he came out for Wish.


And I’m pretty sure I saw him look and I’m almost sure – wait wait -


What’s that on TR’s face!? Is that a smile? I don’t know… but I coulda sworn I saw him smile at least once during Wish.


Shhhhh…. Best I could do my other hand was holding the corner. Shhh - you never saw any of these photos, they do not exist.


TR during Wish. Look the Blue Shirt from Izod came back – just minus the sleeves. Shhh – I think he’s looking down at Florence and smiling in this shot. Don’t tell anyone! Look it almost looks like he's smiling again. But it's TR so he can't be.


Ok ready? I love this shot. Total accident because I was shooting TR – but how awesome a shot of Todd is this!? Its like this total iconic image of the both of them I love it.


Still during Wish – I actually remember taking this shot, looking up at him and –


Oh god! Is he looking at me? He sees Me?

FUCK – I got scared and stopped taking pics for the rest of the song just in case.


Terrible Lie. At first I liked this shot because it was so clear. And then I zoomed in the next night while I was on the rail and I screamed. Here’s why:


WHAT!?



Horrid.


Survivalism. Not fucking slowly but in time with the music nonetheless up there in the bathroom shot I noticed.


See everyone...people have their Propaganda…


The Hand that Feeds. I love this. You see that on the back of the screen? Hey Hey - You see that- you see that!?!?


Me neither!!!

We’re free we did it!! No more Bush – No McCain! It’s OVER! I was smiling the whole time!!! God DAMN that felt good!

Yeah Obama!!


Head Like a Hole!


Alright everyone catch your breath -


Still more to go – are you ready!?!


Echoplex!! I love it. Still head banging with my silly dreads. Now I know why Robin has them though, it feels amazing.

Speaking of The Diva, TR then stops then after the song and starts his speech. Something gets thrown on stage. “Robin, someone threw a hat!” TR says laughing as Robin bends over to pick it up. “Some one threw a hat, you were asking for one, because it’s your birthday remember!?” We all cheer at that. “Someone threw a had and you put it on your ass.” he says narrating the whole thing, as we laugh and we cheer.

He then goes to introduce his band. Walking forward towards the edge of the stage he says, “On guitar-“ he then stops suddenly. He looks --- and I’m hit with this pang of imminent dread –--


(From my camera)
“I appreciate the signs by the way guys-“


(From Jen’s camera)
!?!?!?

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

--I’m frantically grabbing Jen and Lucas’s hands and we’re all clutching each other for dear life.


(From my camera)
“Thanks for making me laugh during that song-“


(From Jen’s camera)
Oh no!


(From Jen’s camera)
This terrible wave of guilt he looks at ---- he says “and ruining my reputation.” And he says this, as he gives me this strange, silly grin!!

“Sorry!” I scream back to him, giggling like a teenage girl, while Todd, Justin and the Guard in front of us looks on.

??????

WTF!!!!!!

Then he looks down rail, pauses a second while he reads the other girl’s sign. I see him smile and shrug as if he is contemplating it. “If I’d read that sooner, I could have accommodated,” he tells her.

What her sign said was – “Happy Birthday Robin – Trent – There was no Denny’s in Uncastle, to make up for it, Play Reptile.” Funny. She refers to a joke he made in another speech. Actually it’s in this blog: http://riotrocklegend.blogspot.com/2008/08/connecticut-extra-show.html –but I digress. Any ways – whereever she is way to go busting him on the Dennys thing girl!

Wait - Did that just actually happen!?!!? Do you see his FACE!?

He IS smiling!!! He blamed us. He blamed us – for ruining – his reputation.



OH TR – how can I – or any of us have any effect on you! I am but one fan. Together we are not even ten. You do not know we exist! And we certainly do no have the power to make the Dark Prince Rock Star smile….


So he introduces the band and does God Given. And we dance and try to pretend that didn’t actually happen.

It didn’t happen. That was all a dream.

I don’t care if it’s on YouTube. Didn’t happen.

Just dance to God Given. Just dance cuz it’s God Given and it’s awesome and you have to dance.


In this Twilight.


Rob’s Photo…Everyone is crying


…all on us are crying….


The show ended – but it still wasn’t over.

More tomorrow.

(That didn’t happen BTW. I fell asleep in 10th Grade Math Class. None of this is real.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin the Mad Photographer said...

So that was you guys he was talking to! I wondered who that was, but I didn't know you were there at that point.

OH TR – how can I – or any of us have any effect on you! I am but one fan. Together we are not even ten. You do not know we exist! And we certainly do not have the power to make the Dark Prince Rock Star smile….

Feels good though, doesn't it? Been there, done that, sold the t-shirt... *grin*

The way I see it, my life has been so enriched by his presence in it in ways neither of us could ever have anticipated--the places I've gone, friends I've made, stunts I've pulled, stories that I can tell in the nursing home years from now--that any small ways I can return the favor, be it by baking mounds of goodies, knitting hats & scarfs and a Mini-Me, or designing a silly-assed t-shirt riffing off the (former) family business, are the very least I can do to return the favor. You made the man happy--it's one thing to be idolized, and another to know that people genuinely like and care about you, and he appreciates that.

(Besides, it's such a sweet smile...*running/ducking/grinning*)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Datura Thom Heap said...

Well, I'm pretty sure we wer part of it - You're too funny - I love all your shirts and pranks and legendary baked goods!

Oh the family business - that reminds me - I got a funny photo for you in the next set of posts I totally thought of you!

Awww, I know eactly what you mean about how he's enriched our lives. When we're in the nursing home telling all the kids our crazy story - will you teach me how to knit?

God, imagine touring in later years? I mean, at that point it will just invovle the fans coming out of their rooms and going down the hall to his room.... pituring an old woman with purple hair kicking a bed. - "Eh TR Wake Up! Don't go towards the light yet - ya gotta sing Gave Up!" Aww thats terrible... Gods forgive me... but I'll follow him as long as I can. You know how it is.

And yes, it is the best smile. (*Runs away as well*)

5:58 PM  
Blogger acidpolly said...

Oh I love your blog, it brings back so many memories and emotions! I write this and listen to Manchester bootleg... You forgot to mention that not only Trent sang "fucking... slowly..." but also when he dissapeared again behing the screen he started to lick his lips towards the camera and watching him doing this on that big screen in weird blue light was... ummmm :)

I have some pics for you:
http://www.acidpolly.ru/photo/us2/for_riot01.jpg
http://www.acidpolly.ru/photo/us2/for_riot02.jpg
http://www.acidpolly.ru/photo/us2/for_riot03.jpg
http://www.acidpolly.ru/photo/us2/for_riot04.jpg
http://www.acidpolly.ru/photo/us2/for_riot05.jpg

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home