Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Voodoo Fest Part 2: The First Day of Voodoo Fest


I was really excited to wear my new dress! I wanted to wear it to the show itself, but fear it would get destroyed in the pit. So I opted to wear it the first day, in the hopes it would survive to be worn again to another show. Before I could ever think about my dress – I had to do my hair, and more important – I needed to get coffee!!!

As discussed earlier – I drink lotsa caffeine. I mentioned this now, because it will come up again later.

But here I am with my Marie Antoinette hair. Lots and Lots of hairspray!


I put on my make up, after my trip to Starbucks – with my hair like that mind you. I love New Orleans. As Lorena and I had discussed the night before – it’s the one place I can just walk around in my dresses and just be OK. Yeah its true – I got my coffee and people were just beyond friendly as they always are there.


Yeah! 12Ghosts! I started this dress back in April! I’m so glad I finally get to wear it!

So I met with Kayla and Tessa and we all ran right over to the festival. We were so excited and got in as soon as they opened.


This is me with my buddy – just as I’d gotten through security, she and I stopped to take this pic. Just as we did – all these photographers ran over to photograph us! It was crazy. Kayla and Tessa were saying we’d gotten attacked by the paparazzi, but it wasn’t that bad! Still, we were laughing and being silly posing for pictures.


Just after that – the local news crew wanted to interview the girls and I. So we all got interview. She asked, “What brings you to Voodoo Fest?”

I smiled and gave her a three-word answer! She asked me a few more questions and then she interviewed Kayla and Tessa. She asked them the same question – and they gave her the same answer! I love it. Too funny. We walked away and laughed and laughed -


As we walked we were so blown away by the trees, the park and the festival. We were so happy.


Bubbles came at us as we walked – they just poured from this tent we loved it!


We found a tiger. That means only one thing – get out the camera!!!


You’re a tiger! You’re Tony the Tiger! NO NO! You’re a Lemur! You don’t have sharp teeth capable of biting.


That’s right you’re a Lemur – Burrow burrow. NO NO! YES YES!

And I’m spent.

Right that’s a wrap!



Bubbles!!!


So then we went sopping, the girls got merch and we all got the most beautiful necklaces. The girls even bought me a NIN one so we would all match! Awww, I love them so much. Yeah there was a lot of group hugging going on. After that we were chillin out and watching some bands.

I got some text messages from Abby and Jen. We all discussed TR’s suggestion that all the “Out of Towners” should see the House of Shock.


“You have to go.” Jen said. Well, everyone said it. Of course we did. We’d planned to go after TV on the Radio. Part of me didn’t want to – Why must we do everything he says? I spook easy, do I really wanna go someplace that scares HIM!?

Plus – what if it’s a trick, he’s a practical joker that one! God knows he’s put fans on busses with no windows and lead them into traps before. What if the band was actually there – then it really would be scary! But, he said to, and we all did think it would be fun so we wanted to go…


We went for a walk out of the park. We all needed a break and I desperately needed coffee. The trees were incredible. You can’t imagine the light coming through them this photo does it no justice.

Sadly, there was no coffee to be found, which was not good since it was already getting to that point of the day where I’m cranky at 3 pm every day for no reason. But, we still had plenty to laugh about, so we got some water and headed back.


Eh? What the hell? TR? Is that what you meant? I am a little scared.


Look at this park. Like, actually. We got back to the festival – the sun shifted in the sky and right away I was happy again – we all were and headed for the main stage.


Amen.

It actually says this above the stage where TV on the Radio and Nails will be playing. I love it.


God look at the sky! Look at the colors! The sun does the most beautiful things to the landscape at this time of day – no matter what the weather I love it.

Ant look - the main stage was purple! It was purple!!!


So, I’d been looking forward to seeing Weclef Jean, but when he took the stage I was completely blown away!


He was phenomenal – he had the best energy!


He kept getting the crowd involved – everyone was waving things in the air – someone even put up a puppy! The crowd was completely into it -


He got into the crowd – literally!


He brought up a girl who did the most amazing tricks with her Hula-hoop! “Get your You Tube Cameras Out!” He joyfully told everyone – and they both just went for it.

Here’s the result of one such vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxJ3u1EPdI

I get chills watching it – I’m right back there with the girls I can’t describe overwhelming sense of joy and enthusiasm in that crowd. Everyone was just having fun!

High school she was that girl that make me do the hula hoop around the gym
(Just to get a peek again, she's a 10)
High school she was
That girl that make me do the hula hoop around the gym
(Just to get a peek again, she's a 10)
All he wanna know is (where my money at?)
She thought he'd call (where my money at?)

See I'mma tell you like Wu told me
Cash rules everything around me
Singin' dollar dollar bill y'all (dollar, dollar bill y'all)
Singin' dollar dollar bill y'all (dollar, dollar bill y'all)


TV on the Radio took the stage. GOD DAMN they’re good. I told the girls – just wait till you see them live.


We loved it – we were rockin out. Wolf like Me came on – we went fucking CRAZY!


I’m so glad I got to see them again. And its so fitting, I just down loaded their new record Dear Science and I’m just learnging the new songs. I had DLZ in my head the entire weekend – I love that song - and now whenever I hear it, I will be taken right back to this amazing weekend. Nothing can carry memories better then songs. Nothing.


Staring at the Sun. One of the best songs ever written. There are no words.

i am the conscience clear
in pain or ecstacy
and we were all weaned my dear
upon the same fatigue

staring at the sun
oh my own voice
cannot save me now
standing in the sea
it's just
one more breath
and then
down i go

your mouth is open wide
the lover is inside
and all the tumults done
collided with the sign
you're staring at the sun
you're standing in the sea
your body's over me


Yeah. We were just…… But we had to then leave and haul ass to the Haunted House. We had no idea where to go – neither did the cab driver. Jen was our hero and found out the directions.

Even with the directions, the cab driver still kinda didn’t know where it was. We all talked and laughed – but I felt myself ready to kill everyone in the world. For no reason. What the hell, I don’t wanna go out! And then I caught myself, and I asked myself – why am I so cranky. Yeah I’m tired and achy from standing all day – but that can’t be it. And so then I realized – I haven’t had coffee since 8:30 this morning! It’s been THIRTEEN HOURS since I’ve had caffeine! Most I’ve ever gone was 5 or 6 – and THAT was ugly. So, I can’t tell you how bitchy I was. I wanted to claw the world to death.

And the whole thing felt kinda weird. I mean, we were following a random post from some website from some guy we don’t even know – where the hell are we even going!?!


Still we were laughing as we walked to the place. All day the girls couldn’t understand why I was afraid to go – finally they understood. “’Out of Towner’” he put it in quotes – is this some kinda trick like New Orleans people know and we don’t! Seriously, I had this irrational fear the band would be lurking in there.

You all know how I feel about seeing them off the stage – that shit scares me worse then the costumed people who kept getting all up in my face when all I wanted was iced coffee.


So we go on line and were waiting. More lines. On the stage, the guy was doing a revival of some Jim Rose Circus favorites. Having people staple gun shit to him – running a condom through his nose – all while Marylyn Manson was playing mind you.

Glory of 1995.


As he ran a condom through his nostrils, I looked at the young’ns and I joked, I don’t know if I can condone you two witnessing such acts! (As if they ain’t seen Broken a billion times!)


But whatever the case – what happened next would become a topic of much controversy, and continues to be so. I was thinking – hmmm, I get scared easy, what if they have scenes of you know what in there…. Mostly, I was in NO mood to be out any longer. You know when you’re just done? No reason to be out and bitchy around the girls, so I told them I was gonna head home but that they should stay.

They too were exhausted. Even in the cab ride over they spoke of the physical pain they were both feeling. I believe Kayla’s exact words were, “My feet are PISSED OFF at me right now!” So that with the fact that we knew we’d have an even longer and more exhausting day ahead of us the next day, we decided to collectively call it a night.

I’m so sorry. I know many of you told me to go. I feel I let you down Jen and Dice and everyone else. We joked about it being a direct order from TR…


So yeah we disobeyed a direct order from TR. We got in a cab and left. I would later regret that, even in the cab I was feeling guilty for having left. I dropped the girls at their hotel we all hugged goodnight and I went to go at least get some water.

I walked into a store on Canal Street and was buying water, a woman waiting behind me online looked at me, “I saw you on TV,” she said.

“Wha?” I’d completely forgotten. I can only imagine the look on my face. I was so confused and scared – and then I remembered – oh yeah the news crew!

“Oh no it’s ok!” she smiled, “You were on because you were down at the festival!”

“Oh yeah!” I said. Me her and the clerk all started laughing. We all started chatting – because people in New Orleans are amazing. We talked about the festival and all. The guy behind the counter was so cool! He was saying he’d gotten the Three-Day pass, but unfortunately could only get on day off from work. “Urgh that sucks,” I told him. Then he told me that if he was going to go for only one day – it would be for Saturday, because there was one band he wanted to see above all others –

Nine Inch Nails.

Exactly! We laughed some more and then I hurried home. The next day was going to be insane...

More tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home