Rock Star Thanksgiving '08 - Rapid City

The alarm on my cell phone went off at 5 am. Abby and I got up, threw on some clothes and checked out of the motel with out saying much. We walked across the way to get some coffee – it was only then when someone mentioned the day I even remembered – so I said – “Oh yeah, that’s right! Happy Thanksgiving Abby!” “Happy Thanksgiving Carol.” She said back. We laughed at the ridiculousness of our situation and got on the road. Abby too the first shift.

There were so many stars. Of course it didn’t photograph…but - I kept looking up at them… Abby was playing Radiohead In Rainbows… I looked up at the stars – all the stars I can’t ever see out where there is so much light. I was thinking, that was how it must have looked thousands of ears ago…back in ancient Greece and what not. Imagine looking up at that back then, and I can pretty much see why people were so much more spiritual back then – because they looked up and saw this all the time. We make our own light now, we don’t look up anymore…

Reckoner came on. That song reminds me of the era just prior to the tour.
Reckoner
You can't take it with you…
There was daylight in the sky.
When I'm at the pearly gates
This will be on my videotape, my videotape
Mephistopheles is just beneath
and he's reaching up to grab me
I started to get teary. I was going to South Dakota and Montana to say good-bye – not just to him but also to a lot of things/people. What if it never happened again?

No matter what happens now
You shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.

It was near dawn. Abby wanted to play In Rainbows again. I wouldn’t let her, so she put on PJ Harvey.

I took over driving, I put on my mix of Still, Ghosts, and THOSE three songs from The Slip.

The Persistence of Loss…

I hear you….

Leaving….

I texted Lucas and Jen as the sun rose and Beside You in Time played. Abby and I said nothing, just took photos…and knew…


“Who live out here?” Abby asks as we drive past the most beautiful but remote place.

Silence…and I know – I am here on Thanksgiving seeing this because of him. Its so beautiful steam rises everywhere and the photos do not begin to do justice to the experience.

I am outside
Give me peace
Heaven holds a sense of wonder
And I wanted to believe…

There’s no secret to living (theres no secret to living)
Just keep on walking
There’s no secret to dying (there’s no secret to dying)
Just keep on flying.
I’m gonna die in a place that don’t know my name
I’m gonna die in a space that don’t hold my fame.

I believe there’s a time when the cord of life
Should be cut, my friends (cut the cord, my friend)
I believe there’s a time when the cord can be cut
And this vision ends (let this vision end).
But I’m gonna die in a place that don’t know my name
And I’m gonna cry in a space that don’t hold my fame.

Lonely Soul ends as we drive down from the mountain. Nearly in a trance-like state, I go to change the CD – neither of us has spoken for those past two songs – I take the CD out – and playing on the radio – Insane in the Membrane!
These pigs wanna blow my house down
Head Underground to the next town-
At that - Abby and I laugh uncontrollably for at least five minutes. It was totally The End of The Fountain Moment.
Now do you believe in the unseen
Look, But don't make your eyes strain
A nigga like me is Goin' insane
Insane in the membrane (Insane in the brain! )
Insane in the membrane (insane in the Brain! )
Insane in the membrane (crazy insane got no brain! )
Insane in the membrane (insane in the Brain! )

Keep driving….she complains we will never reach Billings. It almost seems that way but…

At the top of another hill, going do into another cloud – only this one was white…
know know too well
know the chill
know she breaks
my siren
NEVER was one
for a
prissy girl
coquette
call in for
an ambulance
reach high
doesn't
mean SHE'S
holy

Into the Fog- WTF? Abby notices it first – “Carol, It’s the cover to Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D!” Oh my god – it was. We were driving through it forever, the photos once again don’t even begin to let on how creepy it was…

We should just play Year Zero…

We stopped the car. I threw off my coat and ran around in not but a dress – yes there was snow, yes it was cold – but I was dying in that car. Fish Mox over there was sick with her Strep Throat still, and kept jacking up the heat. So we threw some snowballs, took some pics then got back in the car. We were still several hundred miles off from Billings even.

Abby took over driving.

Finally we hit Billings. Oh god. I don’t see how they could even have a venue there. Can you say One Stop Light – Year Zero Scary Town!?! So, I took over driving, and put on what else – but Year Zero…

hey man
please don't make a sound
take a look around
can't you see what's right in front of you?
Still driving, and not I completely understand how Year Zero was written. Endless drives on the Tour Buss over the With_Teeth tour, TR stares out at nothing but this landscape and one can see pretty clearly why someone would daydream about the Apocalypse. I day dream, I worry about sculptures, my sculpture sin the Apocalypse as well, Abby wakes up-

-Wakes up in time to see this! There’s only one thing to do and we both know it!

Of course Stevie Nicks is playing on top of all that…

Now I know
Well, I was wrong
To live for a dream
If I had my life to live over
I would never dream, no
I still wish you gone
And I will live alone
Yes, I will live alone

Abby takes over driving…

The sun sets once again, and we’re still driving…. Who’s idea was this again? Oh yeah – for once it wasn’t mine! Fish Mox is still sick as a dog – out of paranoia, I start to feel pain in my throat. I downed more Vitamin Water, Airborne and eat some carrots. As Abby said early – If I get sick, we will not make it back to Seattle. My flight leave at 8 am on Monday morning. Already we’re going to be pushing it…

Smashing Pumpkins is playing again.

She explains to me that the song playing is one Billy had written for his cat. How sweet! I’m not much of a cat person, but imagine someone writing a song for a pet. She keeps this up and I will be fully converted to Pumpkins at the end of this.

I call my family as we near The Black Hills. I exchange text messages with friends and other fan/friends.

Finally we near Deadwood and Spearfish – Almost there!
“I know the road to Spearfish! I’m riding out now! Even with out Bill. Even with out Charlie! And besides – I don’t drink where I’m the only one’s gots BALLS!” - Hell yeah Calamity Jane from Deadwood!
FINALLY after nearly two straight days of driving we reach Rapid City South Dakota at about 7 pm Thanksgiving night. We meet up with Amy at the hotel, who informs us that the only thing open is the restaurant at the Radisson – where the band is staying.
Now you know me, if it’s two things that bug me out – its eating and run ins with the band.
Abby says she wants to go. “Abby – are you sure.” “Yeah.” “Abby, are you absolutely sure. Because Abby, there are things that I can deal with – better then you can” I say to her in euphemism. She doesn’t get it…because she can’t hence my using euphemism in the first place. So I suck it up, and get in the car. I put my hood over my head, and pray to be cloaked in a veil of darkness – do not let them see me.

Some force up there must still like me – the restaurant is closed by the time we get there. Still, Abby – just to be a smart ass had to park as close to the busses as humanly possible…
I guess all that was to get me back for calling her Fish Mox all day.

So we go down the block – you know the only block in Rapid City and we had some Thanksgiving Diner. It was funny as hell I loved it.

We didn’t stay long – what the fuck does diner have to do with anything – we gotta get ready for the show the next day! We walked in the lobby and much to my surprise there was Marie! I was so happy to see her! All this time she’s been driving alone! Which after doing more driving I cannot imagine how she has done so much for so long alone! But she is OK – she’s one thought lady! We plan to meet up the next day and say good night.
Up in the room I charge everything while Amy and Abby watch House. That show is awesome. After that, I set my alarm for 5 am and went to sleep.
Stay tuned for the show tomorrow!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home