Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Art and Pumpkins



A few days ago – March 13 - my wonderful friend Cory came over to help me immensely by posing for THE sculpture on The Harp. The Harp I’ve been working on for two years now. I was worried after all that time, it would all come down to one night of Body Casting – and I would botch it or something.

I was OK in the end – but more importantly – Cory was amazing. In all the years of doing this I have to say, Cory was the best person ever to pose for me.



At the same time that day – I was in the process of taking on Smashing Pumpkins. I’ve liked many of their songs over the years, all the way back to today when I was what – 13? All that time and I never got into them. But thanks to Abby, I’ve been exposed quite a bit. Cory is also a huge fan, so since he was going through the brutality of standing still so long and getting plastered – I played Smashing Pumpkins. I made the CDs from the guidance of Lukas. Lukas has his PHD in Pumpkins…



I spin off and lose my head
Throwing stray a spark instead
Gather strength down in my heel
And dig it in the world I peel

Way down deep within my heart
Lies a soul that's torn apart
Tell me, tell me what you're after
I just want to get there faster

Cory really surprised me – he is so into them – more then anything he went to it through the drums. What has always struck me about, has been the colors. Burning guitars, Billy’s burning vocals and all of that combined – somehow with this sunlight.


The sun always seems to be doing this when Pumpkins are playing. When I write – and 1997 plays. When Abby and I drove through South Dakota as the sun set – and now with Cory. I think about how we all approach music in different ways – different things grab us… some of us hear drums, some hear lyrics – some hear emotions and see colors…



Lukas was right there are so many problems. Mayonnaise? Hummer – Siva…. These songs are amazing and on fire…. The sun is – Taking a break – Cory insists we just hear this one song and take it in. I couldn’t agree more… just sitting, sweeping up plaster dust as the sun paints it in brilliant gold…. Cory is drumming along…Billy’s vocals burn… and suddenly I have these weird feelings that everything is going to be OK. I can’t explain it. All the colors in the songs – how they look like this sunlight and everything in it. Everything that is going on things on the horizon…

And even today, now uploading photos playing the Pumpkins play list – the sun is doing it again. Again, this song…..



What if, what is isn't true?
What are you going to do?
What if, what is isn't you?
Does that mean you've got to lose?
Digging for the feel of something new

What if the silence let you dream?
What if the air could let you breathe?
What if the words would bring you here?
What if this sound could bring you peace?

What if, what is isn't true?
What are you going to do?
Digging for the feel of something new
What if, what is isn't you?
Does that mean you've got to lose?

It came from your thoughts, your dreams and visions
Ripped up from your weeks and indecisions

What if the sun refused to shine?
What if the clouds refused to rain?
What if the wrold refused to turn?
What if the clocks would hesitate?

What if, what is isn't true?
What are you going to do?
What if, what is isn't you?
Does that mean you've got to lose?
Digging for the feel of something new

Does that mean you've got to choose?
The feel of something new
Does that mean you've got to lose?
The thoughts you cannot lose
What are you gonna do?

Amazing. I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home