Friday, December 22, 2006

More Rock Star Christmas: Die Zauberflöte



Woohoo- so the other night saw some more Rock Star/Metropolitan Opera House fun. The opera was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Die Zauberflöte. The Met’s current production of Die Zauberflöte was produced by Julie Taymor. It is one of the highlights of their season – In fact, just for the Christmas and what not they are even running shorter 1-hour version - of The Magic Flute in English for the kids. Of course, Wednesday night, we all saw the three hour and ten minute version in German. I’m not a fan of Opera in English. I was super excited, it’s been a while since I’ve seen a German Opera, and I couldn’t wait to see the Taymor production.





As usual, Lincoln Center was stunning. I fell in love with the place many years ago – before I was even a Gard in fact. Before my wonderful First night at the Saturnine show – but I’m not going to talk about that now! I want to talk about Die Zauberflöte.



I’m still not sure how I feel about Singspiel. And I must say, it’s a much lighter opera then I’m accustomed to. What can I say, I’m a little punk – I like death and tragedy. I have to admit, I did miss Lucia di Lammermoor’s mad scene, I miss Elektra… but in the end, I really did enjoy it.



That Papageno was a god damn pisser. The Queen of the Night blew me away – descriptions of her arias and high Fs feel far short of how fucking awesome it is that a human voice can even do that. Truly Divine Talent.

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen!

And her costume was the best part of the entire show. Why did she have to go…. Couldn’t they just off Tamino? He was so useless.



And that Sarastro shit just pissed me off. Not that I consider myself all feminist or anything, but there was far too much degradation toward women in that work. “A woman needs a man beside her – or else she’ll get a big head and go astray.” – some bullshit like that. OK, and If a man, say Sarastro was to remain unmarried I guess he wouldn’t get a huge ego either. That Masonic shit is weird.



Papageno – Papagena – Papageno – Papagena!!!!



---Oh yeah, one last thing -- the drawing I've been working on - I finally finished it last night while the band, the groupies and I watched A Christmas Carol, starring fellow Rock God Patrick Stewart. So,as posmired here it is, "The Convergence of Divas"




Asanti habari habari habari!
Asanti nabana nabana nabana!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Barnaby said...

yo give us a new entry already!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Datura Thom Heap said...

Heres an entry for ya

Did you ever like try to clean out the house, and you end up making a bigger mess then you had to start out with? Well, thats how I feel about what I'm working on with the book now.

I got an idea, i give you the outline - and you write it! hows that sound =). You can draw the pictures too!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Barnaby said...

no drawing but will help with edit. word.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home