Sunday, September 14, 2008

New Jersey - Izod Center Show



Here begins a series of posts about the craziest string of shows yet. I certainly didn’t see any of it coming…

The first of the last shows of the Tour was Izod Center. I almost didn’t do the New York/New Jersey show, which is insane – since it’s the close one. But – New Jersey is a pain to navigate and I was doing Red Rocks – the big one only a few days later and I figured I’d need the extra time to get ready. So I really wasn’t going to do NJ, let alone Philly…

Anyways, the day tickets for Seattle went on sale NJ went a few hours earlier, I figured, what the hell, I’ll try for NJ, as a dry run, and if I get through, I don’t always have to go…. OF course we all know how that one always ends. Even still, I wasn’t really looking forward to Izod – I have no good car with which to get down to The Meadowlands, and my mind was always on Red Rocks. So, I was a little bugging out towards the end of August. Finally I decided what the fuck, I’ll just rent a car. I knew a few other fans who would be stuck down there with out a car whom I’d promised to wait out with – so really it was the best way to help everyone. No really – its New Jersey – have you even been to New Jersey – seriously – the map to the venue was a goddamn maze. So I got the car.

I was so excited when the day finally came. I realized I was coming from home for once! So I loaded the car up with all sorts of provisions – I could actually be of some help if I brought lots of extra water and food and blankets and such – so I was really looking forward to it. I left home on a beautiful August morning and the drive was so pretty! And even though I was totally scared to drive ‘cuz I suck – I made it! I even made it somehow to the venue through the twists and jug handles


The Avenger!

Feel those colors changing
the beauty of speed
I'm comin' back for more
out of a black and white world
Past a shooting star
the beauty of speed
See the colors changing
See the colors changing
See the colors changing

Even still I was built
to tolerate your--

-And yeah – driving through that fucked up set of roads, I realized, I WAS built for this shit. I was built to tolerate this….


I made it to the hotel where my friends were staying, I was really happy. We hung out me and the ladies from France. We hadn’t seen each other in many shows, so they had a lot of stories for me. They do far more then me and are the biggest fans I swear… though they are so modest and like to keep a low profile, so I’ll not name names too much… But they are SO nice and we never seem to run out of things to talk about. After trying to arrange to get them to Red Rocks, it was coming time to wait out. They’d been waiting out for like every fucking show, so I told them – go to bed. Given the logistics of Jersey Driving and the venue not walking all distance, it made no sense in all of us waiting out. I was going to do it anyway, so I kinda woulda felt awful had they lost more sleep.


So I waited out. I was alone, but happily in the shadow of Semis and the new moon – two of the best signs in the world. Still, not the best company – so I was glad when I went to wait out and found other fans. But fucking Jersey built on a swamp – there were mosquitoes everywhere! So we all got into cars.

Then me and the girl in my car were laughing, boys have line drama easy – they can essentially pee anywhere! Girls have it harder - but I always mapquest out where Starbucks is in relation to the venue so we left to find running water and coffee. Being Jersey, the five-minute drive with out lefts took oh 45 minutes….


Dawn came, and with it, my friends Jen and Jonathan, who took my place whilst I ran off to get bug spray for everyone, citronella candles and the French Girls.


Here is everyone! I had so much fun waiting out! Honestly this was one of the coolest lines ever!


Look here’s our torch – you can’t imagine the mosquitoes! It was insane!!!


I did my make up a little Cleopatra style that day…I don’t think it worked though…


My arsenal - Look I travel like a Diva even when it’s one day!


My mini arsenal for the rail… “Trent’s gonna kill me when he sees the flags…” I was so scared…but I can never not do my bad ideas what’s wrong with me..


It was such a nice day…


Me and Jen.


Everyone.


Everyone hiding in the shade. Theres my girl Noshin, who I wish was around more talking to the lovely Mandy.


OK so about this time, Jen and Lucas and I were talking – and I love them. Long story short, it came up that Red Rocks was going to be my 40th show. “Why aren’t you doing Philly?” Lucas asks. I explain. “You know you want to!” So he and Jen are totally awesome and insisting I go to Philly since they are and it would be my 40th. They joke about what dress I should wear and how I should wear a birthday hat!

Fate had stepped in just minutes earlier and gotten the French Girls to go last minute to Philly – this would be Flo’s 30th. Plus if I went – I’d get to see Pam! I’ haven’t seen her in ages!!! I’d do my 40th show with everyone – but – I had no ticket, no way to get down and I had to work. Fucking Lucas and Jen are amazing – they called around – found me a ticket and were helping me figure out transportation. I told them I’d think about it. Oh I so wanted to go but…

Then it was almost time to go in - We all made it to the rail! We almost didn’t though – a few people ran at the last minute and Marie didn’t make the barricade! How fucked up is that – but Lucas and Jen as I said are heroes and made space for her near them! So in the end we all made it.


Shhhh don’t look at what everyone is holding!


Uh – what’s that camera for!!?


“Look it’s The Lights in The Sky!” I point out to Florence. We Both Laugh. I say – “The Lights in the Sky – have finally arrived – I am staying Right Here. There is no place I’d rather be.” I say referring to our being on the barricade. It's true - there is no place else I'd rather be.


Here we go!!!


He’s wearing a blue shirt!!!


Oh my god he's wearing a blue shirt - OK - forgive my grilieness – but you know how I am about clothes and colors. TR in blue!? With his little scruffy beard too – I love it!


And I love how he kept having wardrobe malfunctions in it - it was sovcute and it made me feel a little better since I was totally having massive malfunctions of my own due to my inability to sew... Jesus christ I know a thing or two could easily have fallen out when that stupid fucking camera was on me! -Dear gods may they both have stayed in place!!! ...god damn freeggin nip jokes on nin cameras again….


Yeah Closer!


REPTILE!?!?






Some say it was a WARNING


Some Ghosts.


There is no fucking You there is Only Me -


Only – just kidding – it’s all about you and we all know it.


Terrible Lie.


More Lies...


Echoplex – and my one of my favorite moments when she and I turn and look at each other and smile.


The acoustics were amazing! I’ve never heard them sound so good – this honestly was one of the best shows ever. I could see and hear everything so fucking clearly I can’t describe it. Even things like his voice or the base guitar I could hear with out the amps it was insane. He gave the most beautiful heart felt speech and we all nearly cried – when he launched into Hurt – we did. We sobbed. It felt like it was the first time I really heard that song. So many times they play it and people scream and sing a long really loud – none of that this time. It was incredible. When he finished the song – you could see it on his face!


We were all so happy after the show – we all hugged and cried – just like I said we would…I just didn’t realize it would be like that! After that – we were making Philly if we had to crawl. I drove the girls back to the hotel – after I’d calmed down from crying a bit. There was only one mishap when, in my platform boots I mistook the gas for the break in the parking lot – but no injuries! (That will come up later so don’t forget I mistake the gas for the brake in my boots!) The girls gave me the most amazing thing because I’d waited out for them. It was too nice and they shouldn’t have…but now they sit in the most prominent place on my shelf of scared band relics – not because it came from the band, but because it came from them.

I drove home I was so happy – but I had to rush – I had a lot to plan for if I was making Philly in less the 48 hours.


And as an added bonus – I woke up to this! Lucas and Jen with The Flags on nin.com! (TR wasn’t mad! - I hope!!!) Go Guys go!


-In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice a-whispering
Come away child

New York – New York
New York!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home